Sunday, June 06, 2010

Let's try 20 days first!






Brazilians (South Americans in general) are in better health and shape than North Americans. They don't even go to the gym, they walk. Here one enjoys good food, enriched with flavor and at times, food is fried, but where's the obesity?! They drink beer as much as we do, but where are the beer bellies? I will start a new blog learning their daily food, diet and health. To learn what are they doing that we are not!


Bare in mind, this is not personal attack against anyone, if there's anything personal about this journey, it's me! I put myself in the middle of this war. Over the years, I have traveled to many places in the world and for some reason, strange or otherwise, I tend to loose weight more than I could in the America. I keep asking myself why and how do I maintain the (at the time) weight I have lost? This is tough thing to answer and I know that I will not able to simplify this in one sentence or just in one day. I will abandon things that I know that are truly unhealthy for me!! But, I will learn to find ways to replace them with other flavorful and healthier alternatives.



As of today, June 7th, 2010, I will walk an average of 4.8 km, which is about 3 miles everyday. I must walk after dinner meals and/before going to bed. During my last 20 days left in this country. I will follow some difficult but yet simple rules:


I can't have the following:


  1. Beer

  2. Fast Food

  3. Potato Chips (even if it's fat free)

  4. French Fries (even they're cooked in Extra Virgin Olive Oil)


I will not seek your:


  1. support

  2. understanding

  3. reasoning

  4. approval


I ask that you don't


  1. break me away from what I am doing

  2. offering me beer

  3. offering me just one french fry

  4. give me your negativity


You, if you like:


  1. take a walk with me

  2. give me your opinion on this issue

  3. tell me your experience when dealing with foods overseas?

  4. What are other countries doing that we aren't doing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come visit me in NYC. There's a million alternatives to fast food and it's incredibly inconvenient to NOT walk.

Good luck!

-Jeff Alter